Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Short Story Compilation

I've been writing some vignettes lately about people who are out of place. I think I'd like to collect a book of shorts about this very topic as it's something I've always kind of been interested in. I'll probably write 10-20 of these, but I'm gonna need more. I eat words, you see, and I am hungry.

If you are interested in doing a story or two or three or four and would like to be included, let me know. Unfortunately, I can't promise that this will lead to fame or fortune, but if the book makes any real amount of money I will try to compensate the contributers in some way. I haven't really thought of the way yet. This is just a fun side project for me, so I don't want to get too complicated with it.

Rules:
1) Write 1000 words or less on someone who is out of place. No minimum. If your story is 10 words long and good I'll include it (no, that's not a challenge). Nothing over 1000. Seriously.

2) Please thoroughly edit your own pieces. I don't mind doing a tiny bit of grammar correction/spell check, but I don't want to be too bogged down by the editing process on this.

3) If I think something is just incomprehensible, I probably won't use it.

4) I retain the right to use or not use any piece sent to me at my own discretion. If I really hate something, it's probably not going in the book. That said, I enjoy a huge range of writing and I doubt I'll have a heavy hand in this process. Again, I'm doing this for fun.

5) I'm still looking into the rights system for this but I expect it will be almost identical to Weaponizer. If anyone has any advice for me on this front, please let me know. I won't publish anything until I get this all figured out and you will retain the rights to any stories you send me.

6) These rules may be revised at any time if deemed necessary.

7) Due Date is June 30th.


I think this will be a fun exercise and I hope that I get enough entries to fill a book. If you need any clarification on anything, don't hesitate to ask, my email address is right down below. I'll also monitor comments here and respond to them.

Artists! I could use some cover art for this, you know, so I don't have to use one of the generic covers they have on Lulu. Anyone interested can email me. I'll post further guidelines for art if and when we really start getting off the ground with this.

You can submit stories or send questions to me at steevo83 {at} gmail {dot} com.

PS. Intimate Knowledge is going to be the home base for this project so if I post any new information, it will be here.

5 comments:

SmoothedCube said...

Challenge accepted...

Max Vaehling said...

Can the stories be previously published? 'Cause I had one that might fit in Mat Ferguson's Two Sentence Stories once:

http://www.twosentencestories.com/mathew/ferguson/writer/lil-cuckoos/

Guaranteed to be below 1000 words.

Steevo said...

As long as you have the rights to the story, I don't see any reason that being previously published would be a problem.

Steevo said...

PS. I like the 2 sentence story, Max. Li'l Cuckoos indeed.

Max Vaehling said...

Cool! Feel free to rip it off Mat's site, then. (Yes, the rights are all mine.) If I come across anything else in my files, I'll let you know.