Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Brief Reviews: The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis

The Man Who Fell to Earth The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Despite his grand plans of saving his species from a dying planet (and possibly the human race from themselves). Our protagonist, the alien named T.J. Newton, slowly discovers that human beings are themselves a corrupting influence. It seems like Tevis was treading new sci-fi ground when he wrote this (especially by making the alien mundane and the humans the real aliens) and I enjoyed his grasp of descriptive language. I truly saw 1980s Earth as a strange land, as Newton would have.

It is a book that makes you ponder the universe a bit, but in the end, I think it gives humanity and booze a little too much credit. Though, to be fair, who knows how Anthean physiology works? Certainly not me.

View all my reviews

Amazon Link: The Man Who Fell to Earth

No comments: