Sunday, October 17, 2010

Writer's block. It is a pain in the ass, if you'll excuse me for saying so. I guess the way to get over it is to just keep pushing on with whatever you're writing. But right now, I can't figure out what I want the conflict of my short story to entail, so that's kind of tough. Kinda shapes the thing, you know? So, I figured I'd get a few words in here, while I'm trying to figure it out.

What really bugs me is, how can I be short on ideas in a post apocalyptic city? I mean, there are literally thousands of things that people need to be doing, I just can't think of the one that's going to advance the overall plot in any measurable way. It is annoying.

Hrmm...an examination of writer's block perhaps? Warren Ellis said that it's when a writer can't write...and if you're not writing, well then you're not a writer, are you? I can't imagine that even he never goes through spells where the ideas just aren't flowing. Actually I know he does, because he posts things to the effect of, going to sit in the dark with a bottle of whiskey and let the idea juice slosh around in my brain for an afternoon. Which to me sounds like what I should be doing, but I really wanted to finish this LAD story within the next day or two and if I don't start now, I probably never will. So there's that.

Normally I'll just start working on another story, but my self imposed deadline for this one passed two days ago and if I can't stay on deadline with this stuff then how will I ever be a real writer in the really real world? Things to think about for me, I guess.

In other news, I'm going to need a job soon, unfortunately. Anyone looking to hire someone part time? Or looking for a writer for any reason? Or I dunno, something else that equals money in my pocket? Just thought I'd ask.

No comments: