Thursday, October 29, 2009

Yeah...But Is It Marketable?

Ugh...somehow this post just got deleted. Let's try again, shall we?

So, I just purchased something pretty cool. Eilean Buntata by Will Ellwood is a short story that Will is selling on his blog site. He's posted the first 400 words on the site and you can get the other ~3500 by making a donation of $5 or more (that's approx. 3 pounds sterling, which is how you have to enter it, yeah, he's a Brit, don't hold it against him). The story itself is great, kind of a mix between Robinson Crusoe and Lost and X-Files and...uh, something with potatoes. Yeah, that oughta wet your appetites. The writing has an old feel to it....using context clues, Wikipedia tells me it takes place sometime between 1837 and 1901, which really comes through. Check it out, and toss the guy some money, it's tough being a writer.

This has also gotten me thinking about the ways to market my own writing. I think a system like this could be good for serialized stories and other such projects. I've got my own on the backburner right now and maybe I can get something like Will's approach working for me. I've had worse ideas.

In other news I've got a bar almost complete...I should post pictures...just as soon as I figure out how.

No comments: